About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Teaching

There was a time (even my mom remembers it) when I had declared: Teaching is the last profession in the world I'd do. Sixteen or so years later and I think I have discovered my passion -- teaching! It makes such a big difference to have guidance, methods and people who show you how to make teaching fun and entertaining. Very different story from my school years when I didn't want to turn into my old and unhappy teacher who thought that we were the reason for her unhappiness. Or my boss during university teaching times in Bulgaria who thought he was the best teacher (and knew English better than a native) but didn't have teaching methods and a professional attitude.

The day today started with exiting the metro right in front of the bakery by the school -- chocolate croissant it is! We had our first "teaching." It was basically talking to groups of elementary adult students who, in some cases, talked back in Spanish -- I teach them English, they teach me Spanish :). Most rewarding moment -- "You speak better than the British teachers -- we can understand you better." Thank you USA for teaching me my "more understandable" accent!

After our class we had some work to do and then off for lunch. Another bocadillo today (sandwich that is) -- more days at the local cafes and I got the food going! It's funny how the British and Americans sometimes talk a different language -- try and figure out what an aubergine is?! It turns out it's plain eggplant in US English...Poor students -- how much can we confuse them if even we don't know what we speak?

After lunch we had an hour of our unknown language (we do 4 hours this week to get an idea of how our students feel). I've been there because English was a totally foreign language for me. Anyway, it's good to practice. It turns out our completely unknown language is....Macedonian! You mean Bulgarian?! Thank you, I really was looking forward to something like Chinese, Hindu, Farsi....I have to try very hard not to piss our Macedonian teacher so most of the time I try not to shout out all the answers while my peers learn how to spell their names in Cyrillic. I try to be helpful but not tell them all the answers -- it's hard. Who thought I'd have this advantage here? The unknown language exercises are not that important but still -- they are part of the final grade.

On the way back, another stop at Sagrada Familia -- I don't know if and how people who live here get used to its grandeur and uniqueness.... A long walk home up some hills takes time but I'm in no hurry. I can't seem to find green onion and parsley -- they don't exist here?! Will keep searching. My salad is not the same without them. I also found out later today that the other day I bought not a shampoo but..conditioner. It says "crema" on the bottle so it makes sense, right? Well, under the shower yes; in the store a few days ago -- not really. So I'm using a conditioner again after a few years of forgetting what that is. And I have to get a shampoo tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Check out the fruterias - the little shops that only sell fruit and vegetables. They are easy to find and have parsley (perejil)and green onion (cebolleta)for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard at so many parts of this post:

    1. The secret language was your language! Hah! Go figure!
    2. You're welcome for teaching you English! What are those words you used to use at the office? I'm glad we got that all straightened out!
    3. Chocolate croissant! I can use a few of those in Honduras. Want to send some?
    4. I miss you!!! I can't wait to share teaching tips (rather, you give me teaching tips because I don't know what the hell I'm doing)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you're enjoying teaching! I think you have a natural ability for it with your patience and outgoing personality.
    Did they not know you were Bulgarian when they picked the "unknwn language" for you guys? A bit unfair that you missed out on the experience. Although you know how that feels, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, yeah that office language....Teaching tips -- how about it takes me half a day to prepare a 45-minute lesson?! Miss you girl! Svetlana, yeah they knew but were kinda stuck so....Easier for me. Even though it still took me hours to prepare the whole journal in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun, I want that too! :)

    And GAUDI is utterly incredible! You are definitely right, some people were genious ...
    I myself would surely want to NOT forget marvelling at things at a place like this ... You know, it is sometimes sad for me how tourists gaze at (the remainings of) the Berlin Wall and can barely speak because of astonishment ... and I just walk around, pass them by and don't see a thing, thinking how to please my new chief or what do I need fot the next presentation at uni.

    So try gazing with astonishment longer and don't flip charts "in your mind" out of class! ;))

    ReplyDelete