About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Banking

I have a bank account! Yupeeeee!!!! :) You might be wondering why the joy and the excitement, right?! Well here we go. I went with Ivka the first week to open an account (or I should say to attempt to open) and the result was negative -- you need a Spanish ID otherwise you might get a tourist account which is no good. So patience became my best friend.

You know that I got that cherished ID last week so, on Monday, I decided to try the bank account again. We switched shifts at school this week so I have the mornings to do stuff. Of course after Gracia on Sunday I couldn't get up early on Monday and decided to leave a little earlier before school and see what happens. I know many people don't speak ENG but I have some little hope that I will be able to somehow get the job done. I go to the closest branch home on my way to school. After a little wait it's my turn. Me: Ingles? The guy: (shaking his head) Catalan, Castellano (as you may know, people here speak Catalan and Spanish (Castellano). Me: Open an account? The guy: Just shaking his head. I gave up at this point and just exchanged some $$.

After a few blocks I see another branch of the same bank, so I figure I can give it another try. I see a young girl at the desk so my hopes are high. Ingles? A little. Yeeeee!!!!!!! After a short wait I sit across from her. And then it starts. Documents, papers, printing, signing.... She is using google translator to explain some things to me, apologizes for her ENG (or lack of) and after 45 minutes I walk out. I'm late for school but have a bank account! Not only a bank account but also a life insurance policy! Apparently if you want a debit card, you have to buy a life insurance...Ugh?! Waiting for Ivka to come back and do some translating for me. I also walked out with something that looks like the old BG savings books or a check book.

That book is very important! If you want to withdraw money from your account (in the bank), your debit card or ID might not be enough. You need that book. You can also use the ATMs to deposit money with that same book (no desire to attempt that soon..) or just give the cashier the book and they print everything on it -- how much is going in, withdrawals, balance. I also walked out with 2 pin numbers -- 1 for the book and 1 for the internet access (which is free :). I will get a third pin once I get my debit card (I have to go and get it in three days). I was also given a plastic card with a bunch of codes on the back which I need if I have to transfer money online --at least that's what I understood. And I have a bunch of stapled papers. Not bad, a?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment