About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Two months and counting


Sagrada  Familia
Wow can't believe it's been a little over 2 months since I first set foot in BCN!!! Time has gone so quickly! And at the same time I feel like I've done so much, seen so much and feel almost at home. Well with the exception of speaking Spanish -- that is still not moving the way I want it to......

But other things are. Job, apartment, people..... :). Weekends have turned into party nights. Nothing new, right?! Well with the exception that here parties go on until the very early hours (4,5,6am).... My rooftop terrace has been a great venue and there is some tradition going on now. We plan to use it until the weather permits and I'm sure even in the winter it will still work. 

Another view
I have completely turned the night into day and half of the day into night. It's good that the teaching job so far allows for it.... Going to bed is no earlier than 2am and getting up is around noon. Completely BCN time....Breakfast around noon; lunch, if there is one, around 3-4; dinner is after 10pm. 

Today was my first test going on a bike around the neighborhood -- bicing as they call it around here. Basically is is the same idea that DC tried to implement except that here it is widely spread! Having a bicing card and using one of these bikes makes you more "local" and distinguishes you from the tourists :). Riding on the street was fun -- no falls and it was not so bad trying to maneuver around cars. Riding on the streets in my hood -- not so much fun! Tons of people and you have to watch out for them. No injuries but almost... Worst part is that the 2 closest stations to me had no free spots to return the bike so I ended up going to one that's further away and then had to walk 10 mins home. Not a bad experience though! 

Estació Bicing

I haven't mentioned an important event here last week which spurred some debate in my classes and it was very interesting to hear different opinions -- the strike. Last Wednesday what was supposed to be the labor unions strike against the government, cuts and unemployment turned out to be a different story in BCN. Demonstrators who, according to some local people I talked to, basically used it to vandalize the city and express their desire for independent Catalunya. Nothing bad with that but it felt like a war zone. Police everywhere, police cars on fire, trash bins on fire, trash everywhere, etc. It was quite interesting to hear the different opinions of my students (different ages).

 


The weather here is still hot during the day! You can even go to the beach. Nights get chilly but not too bad. And since this one week a while ago when it rained we haven't seen any rain at all! :) I'm stating to miss fall a little bit though. There are some trees here that change color but it's nothing like fall in DC (Shenandoah is my fav!). Anyway, will keep you posted soon on teaching experiences and classes! Miss u all!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment