About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Monday, September 6, 2010

First teaching day

The school (first building)

You must be waiting and wondering how my first official day of teaching went :). Well, great but of course it can always be better (the perfectionist in me talking here...). I had 2 classes today -- one with 6-7 year-olds and one with 12-15 years old teenagers. When I got to the school I had to print some materials and of course the printer was out of toner..After the initial panic of "Oh crap; what do I do?" it turned out that an extra one was coming ASAP. Phew! Big sigh of relief!

Got my room ready, folders for the students, chalk, etc. (we don't have white boards with markers but the regular black board with chalk -- they are actually green and better than the black). Anyway, time flew fast and the kids started coming. We all have the little ones at first. Put them in the backyard and slowly started asking them for their names. Once I found "my kids" it turns out I have 4 girls and 1 boy. And he was crying! Got some of the teachers to calm him down (sort of) using Spanish and after a little bit --- off we go to the classrooms!

Gave them a piece of paper and asked them write their names with colored pens and then draw something. After a very short time and some encouraging words the boy was smiling! You should have seen the car he drew -  a masterpiece :). First success! The papers went on the walls and are very proudly displayed. Had prepared some games and stuff but the kids are very beginner. So.... change in the lesson plan. Time for the alphabet and some flashcards with animals. Oh and what fun, participation and smiles! :)

After the class was over I went out and met the parents. With my little Spanish I was able to convince them that their kids will learn some ENG. And the kids were happy! What more do I need?!

Second class was a little different. First I had only 3 people and second -- they are early teens. Try to get them to talk! And keep them interested. A little bit slower, less fun but also interesting. Now that I've met them I have a better idea about Wednesday with them.

So far so good! Tomorrow I have another group of 6-7 year-olds (about 11 I believe!) and my upper teens group where I should "show them my iron eastern European fist" -- quote of the other teachers who have taught them. Will get ready for them!

P.S. Another follower! Thanks, Krissie! :)

2 comments:

  1. first time reading your post..take care mi amiga

    marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kind of got me thinking if this is maybe actually one of the best jobs ever? I've always been admiring people who work with smile, not (only) for the money. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete