About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sitges Carnival

In the middle of it ;)
Today I talked to 2 friends who told me that they read the blog regularly and asked me what's up with it! Well, that really motivated me and reminded me that I haven't written in a while (which is becoming a practice). It is time.....

Sitges during the day

Sunset
Well, first of all congratulations to my dear friend who became a mom and has a wonderful baby boy!!!! :)  Wish I could be there...But will see you in July!!!!

Getting ready....

Waiting for the parade to start
Llast weekend was memorable! Sitges carnival!!!! :):):) Was great! Sitges is a lovely beach town which I visited last year (check out August or early Sept blogs). It looks like Nessebar or Sozopol (southern BG).

And the first ones come :)





The city hosts the biggest gay carnival and what fun it was!!!! People dressed up differently with colorful costumes; music and dancing; of course drinking and what not -- most of all FUN!!! I can only imagine what the carnival in Rio looks like if this small city had such an amazing event!




We went earlier to enjoy the gorgeous day. Walked around, had a sandwich on the beach, saw a little bit of the kids'parade. 






There were hundreds of people and everyone seemed to have a blast. The parade started around 9pm and continued after 1am. 

:) There were also kids watching the parade...



We were able to get prime "seats" and as you can imagine I took hundreds of pics. Literally. Too bad you can only see a few here but I think you are getting the idea of the atmosphere.

One of my favorite teams




The worst part was of course the Spanish disorganization. This is not the first time the carnival is held here. Which would lead most people to think that there will be good organization in terms of transportation from and back to BCN. Well....Not really. 



There are local trains which take you there in about 35 mins. The only info about coming back that we could find (and that was difficult) was that there would be buses every 40 mins or so the whole night. No info about trains. So after a great day/night we headed to the bus station around 3:30am. Once we got there we saw a huge line which was no big surprise. 



The big surprise was that when the first bus came we realized we will probably be able to get on the 4th bus if we are lucky. At this we were kinda freezing and tired so the prospect of waiting there for hours did not seem good. 

After

After an hour, having seen no other buses, we decided to send a few people to check on the trains which seemed to be running every 20 mins or so. They came back saying that people are waiting and the trains are running. We gambled and decided to lose our spot in the line and go to the train station. Well it turned out that the line was even bigger and we got separated while trying to figure out if we should wait or just go for a drink somewhere for an hour. My bro and I managed to get inside and it turned out that the line was moving very fast. 


The real problem was the amount of people on the platform waiting for the train. Once it came there was so much pushing and shoveling that I wonder how nobody got hurt. And the train was paaacked!!! Anyway, got to bed at 6am and had a wonderful time!!!!















1 comment:

  1. We missed you, girl! And even your bro ;), so used to him around you - always with a smile and a hug for you, lovely sis :)))
    (Siblings are the best :))))

    I think you should also see the "rival" Christopher-Street-Day in my old neighbourhood - the one with the rainbow flags ;) It's even, I bet, "worthier" ;)) and soooo many breath-taking men "wasted" (for us at least ...). Well, we still have the right-on-time metros, which are even greater organized on such events. Memorable was the Footbal Wolrd Cup with its millions touris ;))
    You know what, I started liking "germanism" these days ... ;)))
    (ha ha, with so much sun and degrees ;p))

    ReplyDelete