About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Trip Part 1 -- Granada (1)


My trip started with a 4.5hr sleep the night before because in my desire to get down to Andalucia early in the morning and not waste any time, I booked such an early flight that I ended up sleeping only a bit...I'm only saying this because the trip actually ended with the same amount of sleep! One reason was also an early flight (I guess anxious to come back to BCN and relax -- after a vacation...) but another was that I stayed up late in a bar.

On the hostel's terrace

From my room

Inside the hostel
 I arrived in Granada early and was able to find the hostel with no problems. I have to admit that I tried to stay away from too much planning (which I usually do but have been trying to cut down on it for the past 2 years or so) -- had no idea about places to visit (except Alhambra), map, etc. It's good that there were free maps in the bus from the airport to the center.
 
A cute street in Granada (close to my hostel)


Oranges everywhere!!!!!

This is how they sell tea and spices

The hostel was really cute -- an old building, hidden in the small stone streets, with such character that you couldn't really ask for more. It had a lovely terrace with Arab style divans and cushions and mot importantly friendly staff.



The Cathedral

The Cathedral


My first day was walking around, getting to know charming Granada, visiting the Cathedral. After having seen the Duomo in Milan past summer I didn't really think that I'd be impressed by another cathedral. Well, I guess I was wrong. This cathedral has amazing details outside and once you go in it doesn't look like any other cathedral. It's white, huge and the details are stunning.


 
Beautiful flowers everywhere

There are orange and mandarin trees everywhere in Andalucia! We have them here in BCN too but in the south they are EVERYWHERE! I love them!!! :) Couldnt take enough pics of them. The use them instead of other green trees in the streets, parks and gardens.

By the river (Alhambra in the back)



I have a thing for fountains, flowers and parks.....You will see some of them but it is really difficult to pick from my 1,500 pics (yeah, you read that right....). And I'm really sorry that I can't share all the beauty that I captured but hopefully you will get an idea.

More blossoms


Of course flamenco!
I walked pretty much the whole day around in the heat (it was lovely!) and finished the day with tasty tapas and sangria. There will be a special part on Alhambra as it is one of the man-made wonders of the world and I can't possibly describe it with a few words nor put enough pictures for you to get the idea. Stay tuned! 

2 comments:

  1. Aaachhhhhh, girl, I'll probably be dreaming of your blossoms later ;) Great that you're chasing your "things" around :D
    Aaaand may be some kind of a separate place for aaaaallllllllll those pics and impressions is worth considering ;) I mean, once or twice, you could leave us these few shiny pieces ... but all the time, come on! And then "just" mentioning the count, by the way.
    So by the way, I (or surely we ;)) want them too!
    When staying tuned, fans need some crumbs, you know :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me wanna go so bad! You have to give me all the details when we meet again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete