About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Finding myself....

Saturday, December 11, 2010

BCN stuff

What an interesting night I had last night! After nights like this I feel lucky and happy that I'm in BCN. You meet all kinds of people. Some more eccentric and crazy than others but we are all different and that makes it interesting, right?!

Meetup groups -- very diverse (well sometimes you just meet a bunch of Americans which makes me feel at home :) and sometimes they can surprise you. A conversation last night later in the night:

Catalan woman (lived for many yrs in USA, in her late 40s/early 50s): How do you know you are in love?
Italian guy: I go out with a person for a while, there is no physical contact at all, one night I dream about kissing her and when I wake up I know I'm in love..
Catalan woman: This is great!!! Wonderful!! Let me shake your hand.
Me: Sounds great but I believed in it when I was 15. Grow up.
Catalan woman: Girl, you are still young but be careful not to become a lemon. Believe.

At which point the conversation moves into the direction of how fast people fall in love, relationships, Americans, Catalan and European people to the point where she tells us that every person has an animal (some 2). She knows this from a shaman and her animal is a dolphin. After some time and more wine she agrees to tell me (and ruin it for me because I'm supposed to find out by myself) what animal I am. Panther. Excuse me?!?! Me?!!? Then she says: This is your second animal. Go find your first.

When she leaves, a Catalan guy starts a conversation with me. The conversation feels like an FBI interrogation. Where are you from, how long have you been here, why did you leave the USA, why did you go there, did you stay legally, what are you doing here, do you want to go back to BG, do you have bfriend, have you met a Spanish woman in DC that I know, you should meet this gorgeous BG girl here and I'm sure you will click and so forth. After the first questions I'm a little pissed -- what the hell is this and who the hell are you?! But then I decide to play the game and actually have fun. The hilarious thing is that he is very serious :). Then I interrogate him and he seems taken aback.

The night finishes with the Italian guy telling me that I have a hole or void in me and my life because I can't remember what I wanted to be when I was a child. I have no dreams. Do you remember what you wanted to be when you were like 10?! Anyway, I met some other people too but the conversation with them was in the norms so it is not making the cut here in the blog. :)

6 comments:

  1. Great entry!

    How are you supposed to find out what your first animal is??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, at 6 I wanted to be a teacher and at 10 a steward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, this is funny :) did you figure out your first animal? I have 2 in mind-wold and a bunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha You go to a shaman and smoke some stuff and he tells you your animal! :)Good for you, Luci!!! You have no holes in your life! Tanche, we are talking about different animals here ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm for the Catalan Woman! Go, Girl, GO :D

    And I wanted to be a Painter !!!
    At least no one else wanted it, especially in comparison to princesses, models and maybe astronauts ... So my point is, what is the first animal? Actually everybody's point here ;)

    ReplyDelete